|Previous item | Continue to next item | Back to Key plan|
- Pipe Organ
The installation of the 3 manual (keyboard) Votteler-Holtkamp-Sparling Pipe Organ, commenced in 1916, was completed for the celebration of Easter Sunday 1917. Installed by Henry Holtkamp and his crew, a renowned group of organ builders of the Symphonic Era from the Cleveland, Ohio area, the instrument is a great memorial to their skills and talents. Sadly, the organ fell prey to the lower economic costs of maintaining an electronic instrument in the late 1970s. Many churches of all denominations have similarly installed electronics only to find the electronic after a few years to be very unsatisfying. The organ at St. Hedwig is comparable in size and grandeur to those great instruments installed at famous Detroit landmarks such as the Fox (intact and playable) and Fisher Theatres (removed to the Senate Theatre) or Orchestra Hall (removed). When our brothers and sisters originally built this Cathedral to our Lord, an equally fitting instrument was installed. Once the current restoration is complete, we once again shall have the resources of their beautiful instrument for the greater honor and glory of God.
Facts about the Votteler-Holtkamp-Sparling Organ: